This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

The Londinium Distribution Tool

Reis - I just finished watching all of your videos posted on the blog....and if it weren't for the fact that its bedtime, I'm amped to make some espresso now!!

a couple of questions as I was watching...

The second video where you used the tool - you mention that you don't pull the lever up until the first drop of espresso...i was timing this on the video and that looks like a 20s PI approximately? Is there any concern for the group/water getting too cold with this long of a PI?

For those of us who have been using a WDT tool and funnel - how much more effective is the the Londinium tool?

either way, i'm buying one as soon as you have them available!

Comments

• hi dan

thanks for posting. in terms of how effective the LONDINIUM funnel is relative to others i think all that matters is that it makes a snug fit into the top of the basket so it doesnt fall off when you are using the distribution tool

if you already have a funnel I'm not advocating that you rush out and buy ours

as for the effectiveness of the distribution tool relative to others i think that if we didn't feel we could bring something better to the table we wouldn't have bothered. the most impressive aspect is the consistency of the improvement - all of those vides clips were first takes - that is to say i captured the difference exactly is i wanted and needed to on the very first take - this underlines the consistency of the difference

if you were concerned or too impatient for the extended pre-infusion time that it produces you could turn up the pre-infusion by 1/8th to 1/4 turn to compensate, but i think most baristas would tell you that an increase in the time before the first drip with all other variables held constant is simply an indicator of far better distribution

the coffee taste significantly better; chalk & cheese, night & day - pick your superlative

some of you will already have developed your own tools and techniques and be sitting there saying, hey what took you so long to catch up, which is understandable

the potential of the LONDINIUM distribution tool that i really want to investigate is can if lift the performance of what i would call minimal acceptable grinders, like say the Mazzer Mini electronic, up a level to the point where a vastly improved extraction results. it is the LONDINIUM owners that are using these entry level grinders that i am most looking forward to hearing from when we release the LONDINIUM distribution tool

kind regards

reiss.
  • It certainly looks impressive. When do you think they might be available and at roughly what cost?
  • Hi Reiss!

RE Long PI - I am definitely not impatient and only concerned about it because you had mentioned in a previous post that after 15s, you feel like the coffee is just 'stewing' at that point. Is that no longer an issue with the mechanics of the LR (as opposed to the previous gen L1)?
  • David Lewis post=13376 wrote: It certainly looks impressive. When do you think they might be available and at roughly what cost?

hi david

i hope to have both the funnel & distribution tool in stock in the first week of may

pricing to be determined; i originally intended to sell them as a bundle but i understand a lot of people already have a dosing funnel so i think we will now offer separately

best

reiss.
  • hi dan

yes, its true i did say that about the L1(2012-2016), but i think it is slightly different as in that scenario pre-infusion is occurring at a pressure so low that the coffee puck is able to hold back the water almost indefinitely

if i was optimising the shot in the video of the distribution tool i would tighten the grind slightly to get a slower pour - if you time the pour i think from memory it is probably a bit quick, and i would tweak the pre-infusion up ever so slightly to ensure it didn't take too long for the first drip to appear

in any case your tongue will tell you - if you tighten down the grind too far the coffee will tend to drip rather than stream and you will notice a distinct 'wooden' taste in the cup, the result of over-extracting the coffee

anyway, we now have a lot of very fine holes to drill in stainless steel and lots of drill bits to break in the process, but as soon as we are complete we will add them to the webstore

best

reiss.
  • that makes sense Reiss!

this morning I was playing around with waiting until first drops before releasing the lever. definitely noticed a difference in taste...less of the pungent acidity and more 'coffee' flavor if that makes sense? didn't get the flow right, will keep tweaking throughout the week.
  • This tool helped me, a total espresso newbie, get to pulling incredible tasting 30 second 30 gram shots.

Simply.

Thanks for your design smarts and dedication Mr. Gunson.

Cheers,

Oliver
    Haliburton, Canada

www.jbeans.ca
  • Riess,

The Londinium distribution tool and funnel = gods gift to the espresso world!!! Bloody awesome!

It's so easy to use, looks great and best of all shot improvement is very noticeable. Much more even extraction etc...

Greatly appreciated and I'm looking foward to trying the beans!

Rick
  • Received my funnel and distribution tool yesterday and all I can say is "wow ".

While I regularly get good shots, I'm a bit hit and miss - I'm lazy about weighing.

I've just banged out a bunch of absolutely perfect shots in a row, so easily. I can't believe the difference tis makes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • I received the funnel and distribution tool on Thursday. I am currently finish a batch of Reiss's Brazilian beans roasted in March 2017 and frozen upon receipt.

I am still using a pre 2014 L1 machine however, this distribution tool has changed the routine and produced really good shots. Using an 18gm VST and an E10 grinder with between 15-20 sec pre-infusion to extract 25gm in 25 sec.

Can I recommend that this tool be a part of every Londinium machine. It appears to create the correct vertical distribution of grinds for lever extraction as finer particles sink closer to the bottom of the basket during stirring. Just a theory I have as to why it works!

Thanks Reiss

Trevor
  • It will keep going that way. Shot after shot after shot...wow.

I didn't doubt that the new tool would work well compared with no WDT at all, but I did doubt that it would make a meaningful improvement for those already doing WDT with a thin metal rod. But results in the cup don't lie. Even before tasting the shot, one can immediately see the increase in evenness of the extraction as it emerges from the shower screen.

Very impressed with this product.
  • been doing some side by side comparisons with the Londinium Distribution Tool and a single rod WDT over the past couple weeks. I know that this tool is aimed for those with less than optimal grinders, so my test using the Monolith Flat might not be the best barometer to gauge performance. However, I can confidently say now that I am getting more consistent results with the LDT than the straight rod. Results are still great with the rod, but slightly better with the LDT.

happy to share more info if anybody is interested!
  • I'm interested. I have been using the WDT single-rod tool that came with my Monolith. The results are fine, but I can't help wondering if the Londinium tool would be an upgrade.

Matt
  • I will be posting some about this on the other thread.

Jan van der Weel who will help in the testing is busy today getting his house ready for a renovation (a roof beam needs to be installed) so even though he has just received his Londinium L-R machine he does not even have time to unpack that.

I am also posting about it on my blog and today I listed the tech details of the 4 grinders that we will be testing with / without the Londinium distribution tool.
  • I had been using a plain metal rod with my K30. Since I started using the LDT, the improvement in consistency has been the noticeable improvement. In the past, there were occasional shots that were especially wonderful...now it's nearly all of them.

I have a good friend with a Monolith Flat. Sometime in the near future I will bring the LDT and my K30 to his home so we can see if the degree of improvement differs between the two grinders. I'm especially interested in the results because the next production run of Monolith Flats includes one for me!
  • Matthew, you will definitely see an improvement, but depending on how well you have your Monolith routine down, it might be a giant leap.

Frans, looking forward!!
  • I too am happy to report that I am very pleased with my LDT.
    My view is that it is a well made tool that feels good to use and that has a positive effect on my espresso making.

In an effort to try and make an objective comparison between using the LDT, a mini whisk and a cocktail stick, I conducted a simple experiment.
    If anyone is interested in seeing the results then check out this post on CFUK
  • Nice! Including the punchline "Anybody want to buy a cocktail stick?" ;-)