This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Ode to the Americano

Any other Americano drinkers out there?

I'm typically up early and after I clear my work inbox I like to linger with an Americano while catching up on this forum, a couple of other coffee-related forums, my favorite BBQ forum and Facebook.

I have been using a triple basket in my previous machine with 23g of coffee and pulling (pumping? :) ) 46g shots (2:1), about 3 ounces with the crema into 6 ounces of hot water in my favorite thick-walled mug.

My IMS B68 2T 26.5 E basket came yesterday so I played with it a bit last night to dial in the grind and dose and decided on 22g. This morning I pulled a 44g shot using the Yemen coffee that I roast 7 days ago and used that for my Americano. I think I am in Americano nirvana :cheer:

Comments

• Hey Ron,

I'm not an Americano drinker, but you might wanna try preparing the Americano by just tapping hot water from the L-R and then pulling a double espresso (18gr VST basket and 30-35gr coffee extraction) into it.
    Not the other way around (first the double espresso and then tapping hot water), since that destroys the crema in the cup. :)

Let me know what difference it makes to your current method Ron, and what recipe/taste you prefer.

Greets,
    Ernst
  • Made an correction, since it's exactly the other way around...
    First you should tap the hot water and then pull the double espresso (for not destroying the crema).
  • Hi Frans,

Already corrected it and at the same time you pointed it out. We're running dual today (exactly the same time). :)

Edit:
    Good point about the temperature of the hot water that first cools down before it comes in contact with the coffee.
    That's reason two to first tap hot water and then adding a double espresso.
  • Thanks guys! I guess my post was confusing, but that is what I do. I draw hot water into the mug, let the L_R fill the boiler and recover while I grind, dose and tamp, and then pull the shot into the cup with the hot water already in it. That also gives the water time to cool a bit.

I prefer a little stronger Americano so the 22gr dose/44g out has been very good, but I'm still learning the machine so I'll try 18g VST basket as well.