This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Playing with warmup time

Just for fun I started the Artisan app again, connecting the Amprobe to my L1 to try out and see how an almost-continuous slow trickle out of the group would heat the group at the start of the day. We all know a 500ml flush can do the job fine as per the manual of course. Also, it's not likely that a LONDINIUM owner in a hurry in the morning will take the time to pull the lever just enough to let a trickle come out, and keep the lever there while he needs to take a quick shower, eat something, get dressed and move out to the office. So it's maybe not practical but just fun to know that the 'trickle method' does get the group up to 86ºC in 10 minutes sharp on the first try.

I paused the trickle twice, when the boiler was feeding with fresh cold water as I didn't want to share the cooling-down. All in all I used up 750ml of water. Could have done less, probably.

Should have made the coffee at 10min, but needed extra time to weigh beans, grind them, tamp... ;-)

Comments

• Thanks for this contribution Frans. So you stood there and held the lever? Or did you insert some sort of non scratching block or wedge into the lever knuckle?
  • I just stood there. If I did this often I could maybe find an alternative, but the simpler way would be to just switch on the machine earlier ;-) Fixing the powerful lever in some stable and precice way would involve a lot of inventiveness for something so unimportant.

I reasoned that all that energy of hot water leaving the group in a few seconds of wide open flush could be used to heat the group more effectively.
  • If i'am really in a hurry, I put some paper in the single basket and pull the lever down, when the pressure is not even completely built up yet. Cannot measure temp (yet!) but have the impression that it cuts heating up time in half.

M
  • correct, it will.