This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Recipes for "non-espresso" uses of the Londinium.

Ernst in the "DO YOU LEAVE YOUR LONDINIUM ON ALL OF THE TIME?" thread raises an interesting question - what are the non-espresso uses for the Londinium? He describes a number of milk based drinks. I don't remember any thread providing recipes, so here's a family favourite ...

Large pitcher of steamed milk,to which is added 1+ oz of Amaretto
Pour into glass(es), then grind nutmeg over milk froth.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Hi Kevin,

Thank you for the initiative for this separate thread. I think sharing insights is stimulative and desirable and a separate thread makes it more convenient for the future.

Up front: sorry for the longer descriptions. Especially skilled users prefer short descriptions (KISS), but I'm trying to be helpful to beginners as well. As a Dutch saying goes: "There is not a single chef who can cook for all mouths."

For measurements, I am using Milliliters (1000 ml is 1 liter), which you can convert to many metric systems.

I will post a few recipes of frequent made hot drinks separately.
  • HOT MILK WITH FOAM + HONEY

Put in you pitcher:
    - 350 ml milk (I'm using milk with 3,8% fat)

Steam the milk, like you would do for coffee related drinks (I like shiny micro foam on top of it).
    Pour the milk and foam in a tall glass; the glass should fit at least 400ml.
    For convenience, take a long teaspoon (designed for long glasses) and add a big, full teaspoon of honey in the glass.
    Stir the honey through the milk and now you can enjoy a delicious hot sweet foamed milk.

COMMON SENSE
    Adjust the amount of honey to your preference of sweetness.
    As long as you're lacking the long glasses, adjust the amount of milk and honey, so it fits your glass or the volume that you're in to.
    It's probably better to add a bit of extra honey afterwards and figure out your sweetness flavor.

FINAL
    I like to drink it in the evening.
    If you dislike this drink, you're probably not human. ;)
  • HOT CHOCOLATE

There are several techniques and recipe options; they all can taste good.
    It also depends on the quality of the ingredients, as you have learned from making coffee.
    This drink has the side effect of a browning the steam wand; better clean it as soon as you're finised with steaming.

Put in you pitcher:
    - 350 ml milk (I'm using milk with 3,8% fat)
    - 3/4 heavy filled teaspoons of pure cacao.

Steam the milk with the cacao.
    Since cacao will float on top of cold milk, try blowing the cacao down in the milk by steaming.

Pour chocolate milk (and foam) in a tall glass; the glass should fit at least 400ml.
    Take a long teaspoon (especially designed for the long glasses) and add two/three heavy filled teaspoon of honey in the chocolate milk.
    Stir the honey through the chocolate milk and now you can enjoy a delicious hot drink.

*** OPTION ***
    Another preparation technique is already steaming (a part of) the milk medium hot, without the cacao
    Then add the cacao by stirring it through the milk so it is becomes fully absorbed by the milk.
    You might want to steam the (medium) hot chocolate milk as a whole further now, so it becomes hotter.
    Make sure the cacao is fully adulterated with the milk.

*** OPTION ***
    Another recipe is using water instead of milk.
    This is also helpful in case someone wants to avoid milk, for whatever reason.
    You can tap hot water, add the cacao, stir, steam it a bit further and add the adjusted amount of honey to your taste.

*** OPTION ***
    Another recipe is tapping hot water, add a piece of real chocolate to it and let is melt down in the hot water.
    Steam the result so it becomes even hotter, but also for letting the chocolate coalesce with the water.
    Off-course you can combine the real chocolate with milk as well.
    The chocolate you're using plays a dominant role (the amount of cacao and sugar is already defined by the chocolate); so first taste before you're adding honey.

*** OPTIONAL INGREDIENT ***
    To all the above options and flavors: you can add a shot of 4cl alcoholic beverage (for example rum) and stir it as well.

COMMON SENSE
    Take care to read the ingredient list of the cacao you're using!
    If it's not pure cacao, then there is probably sugar added to the mixture (since pure cacao is bitter) and you should be careful before adding extra sweetness.
    My advice is to use pure cacao, so you know what you're drinking and I believe honey is more healthy then sugar.
    If you're making a hot chocolate for a kid, take 50% of the amount of cacao. Kids dislike a heavy cacao taste (although it's sweetened up by honey).

As long as you're lacking the long glasses or prefer a smaller drink; adjust the amount of milk, chocolate and honey.
    It's probably better to add a bit of extra honey afterwards; although you can adulterate the whole by adding extra milk or water.

FINAL
    I like to drink it in the afternoon.
    If you dislike a hot chocolate, you probably need to visit a psychologist so the both of you can dive in your childhood and poke around where it all went wrong. :)
  • HOT APPLE JUICE + CINNAMON

Put in you pitcher:
    - 350 ml apple juice
    - 0,5 teaspoon cinnamon

Steam the apple juice together with the cinnamon to the desired temperature.

** OPTION **
    You can apply the same technique as with the hot chocolate:
    Steam (a part of) the apple juice, stir the cinnamon so it will be absorbed by the apple juice, continue steaming so the both becomes adulterated.

*** OPTIONAL INGREDIENT ***
    You can add a shot of 4cl alcoholic beverage (for example rum) and stir it in the steamed hot apple juice with the cinnamon.

HEALTH
    Cinnamon is healthy, but the amount you can consume on a daily basis, depends on the type of cinnamon.

There are two types of cinnamon:
    1. Cassia
    2. Ceylon

With the Cassia version (most common, already pulverized, cheapest) you shouldn't consume *to* much on a daily basis.

*** LINKS ***
    English version:
    https://www.bfr.bund.de/en/faq_on_coumarin_in_cinnamon_and_other_foods-8487.html
    German version:
    https://www.bfr.bund.de/de/fragen_und_antworten_zu_cumarin_in_zimt_und_anderen_lebensmitteln-8439.html
    Additional:
    https://examine.com/supplements/cinnamon/

FINAL
    I like to drink it in the afternoon.
  • GINGER TEA + HONEY + CINNAMON

Get a piece of fresh ginger.
    You might put the whole fresh ginger in cold water, to soak for some time if you like (that's what I prefer to do for 30 minutes).
    Cut the brown skin away from the ginger (for the amount you would like to use).

Tap a glass of hot water from the Londinium.
    Rasp the fresh ginger or cut it very fine with a knife and add the ginger to the hot water.
    Add a 0,5 teaspoon of cinnamon to the hot water and stir the water so the cinnamon dissolves in the hot water.
    You might steam the water + ginger + cinnamon to heat a bit extra (do not burn your hands off-course).
    Add a full teaspoon of honey to the glass and stir.
    Let the tea cool down so it becomes drinkable (in the mean time the ginger can give it's taste to the hot water...).

You can eat/drink the ginger if you like, but you don't have to.
    Enjoy this drink in afternoon or evening; it's very healthy and I drink it quite a lot in the winter.
  • Great ideas, Ernst! Thanks!

I saw a couple of older videos from Frans on Vimeo where he used his steam wand to make soup, cook eggs and make apple sauce :shock:

Soup -
    Apple Sauce -
    Eggs -
  • thank you ernst for contributing all those recipes, it is much appreciated. reiss.