This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

WDT Funnel or Doser

Hello!

I hope everyone is doing well! I was curious if anyone had any recommendations or input for WDT funnels or dosers that are especially well suited to fit the portafilter on the Londinium. I've been looking at the Orphan Espresso Ipanema 58mm mm funnel, which I understand would be the correct fit? I currently have a Mazzer Mini type B, and just want to ensure that I have even distribution when grinding the beans. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• If you can get hold of one the Decent Espresso funnels are fantastic, been using one for about 6 months now and couldn't ask for me. They sit on top of the portafilter so don't disturb the grounds underneath and it's suitably weighty that I can't see it going anywhere any time soon
  • Diego, If you check out the 'NEWS' from the main menu you will see that Londinium Dosing Funnels and Distribution Tools are to be available very shortly.

Go back to the posts of 16/5 and 20/5 and you will see video of the prototypes.
  • There are some things to consider the biggest influence is the grinder you're using. If you are using a grinder with a PF holder like the Compak On-Demand grinders using a funnel is very difficult. Using a R120, well that's easy to use a funnel. I've been using a Lyn Weber dosing tumbler with the R120 and now a Cedar e37s.

With your Mazzer Mini you could probably take the PF fork holder off and use a funnel or tumbler. I believe that is a doser version of the Mini, right?

FWIW I just tried two different, in expensive funnels. One sat on the basket and the other clamped onto the PF. Both were sub-optimal- The one that sat on the basket was easy to knock off the basket when trying to distribute the grounds out of the grinder. The one that clipped onto the PF was good at not moving and guiding ground coffee into the basket BUT it scratched the soft metal of the PF.

From what I can see of the Londinium funnel it sticks pretty far down into the basket so it is less apt to be knocked out of place like the little one I tried from another vendor. It looks to be tall enough to help but not SO tall that you can't fit it under your doser provided you remove the PF holder fork. There's a balance there that might be a good part personal preference and also a good part dependent on the geometry of your gear.

First you might try simply removing that fork and seeing how easy it is for you to dose into the basket as you move it around for even distribution. I am not a fan of PF forks that restrict the Barista from moving the basket around and getting a good distribution right there at the grinder myself.
  • agreed richard, although i only fit the funnel after i have ground the coffee into the portafilter.
  • That is exactly what I do. I've had an Orphan Espresso funnel for several years, and the design is similar to what Reiss has produced, albeit nowhere near as polished! Very useful device.