This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Can't lock the portafilter at 6 o'clock

I can't lock the PF past seven and I can't insert the gasket deeper. Any ideas?

Comments

• That looks about right to me.
  • Mine's a bit to the right of 6oclock nowadays. Once I remember it didn't seem to be seating correctly and the porta was locking before 6... it turned out after removing the screen for cleaning I had put the group seal in upside down. Whoops. Swithced it around and it fixed it.
  • Thanks all.

Patrick Bennett post=816 wrote: Mine's a bit to the right of 6oclock nowadays. Once I remember it didn't seem to be seating correctly and the porta was locking before 6... it turned out after removing the screen for cleaning I had put the group seal in upside down. Whoops. Swithced it around and it fixed it.

How did you removed the screen??
  • Very carefully with a flat head screwdriver or paint can opener key. It's best to attempt this when the machine is hot and the screen will come off a bit easier, but please not it can be a 3 oclock then 9 oclock wiggle making sure not to pyr it off from only one side.
  • But the screen is like the e61? I mean, if you remove the gasket then you also remove the screen?? I can't remove it!
  • Gasket out. The shower remains stuck. What the hell?

• My handle only went to 7 oclock for the first few months, probably just the seal settling in
  • hi juan

good to see your L1 has arrived

Patrick has outlined earlier in this thread how to get the shower screen off

explicitly, take a wide, flat bladed screwdriver and place the tip horizontally in the press line at the 3 o'clock position, where the notch is in the bottom of the group to accommodate the right hand lug on the portafilter, and use the bottom of the group where the notch is as a fulcrum for the screwdriver that you are using as a lever

then do the same thing at the 9 o'clock position on the group

then back to the 3 o'clock position

then back to the 9

then to the 3

and so on

i promise you it will come off - you will need to keep the blade of the screwdriver pushed firmly into the groove or it will jump out of the groove as soon as you use the screwdriver as a lever, but i promise you the shower screen will come off using this simple method

when you put it back on i suggest you smear the thinnest film imaginable of silicone grease (i.e. just a greasy sheen when viewed across the light is enough) aroung the inside of the vertical sleeve on the shower screen so it isn't a metal on metal situation - this will make it less likely to bind on

kind regards

reiss.
  • Are you over dosing the basket? If you put too much coffee in then the handle will be harder/impossible to lock in. Sorry if that is an obvious thing to say but it happens to me sometimes when I have to coarsen the grind and forget to weigh before tamping.
  • James Springfield post=822 wrote: My handle only went to 7 oclock for the first few months, probably just the seal settling in

+1. As mine ages (going on 11 months now) it has gone from 7 o'clock to 6:30. It also varies with types of baskets and brand of baskets. My OEM 7g basket has a different lock in that the 16g basket.

As stated before, wide fla blade screw driver, going from side to opposite side in a torque pattern, will drop that screen. I am pretty shocked you got the gasket off without removing the screen :ohmy: How does the gasket look now? There should be no nicks or gouges in it.

There is no need to put a lot of force on the PF handle when locking in the PF.
  • OK. All under control now. I'm enjoying some great espressos. Thanks all for the help. ;)