This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Cafelat silicon group gaskets

Anyone know if any of these gaskets work on the L1?
Rob

Comments

• I'm sure they do. give them a whirl and let us know. much loved on HB.
  • I used them on my previous machines. They last a very long time. Since my L1 is new, I won't have to change out the gasket for at least 6 months. I have 2 sizes on hand. Would be nice if one fit!
    Rob
  • I'd like to try the group seal too. He has also released some piston seals.

Would be interested to compare how they perform to the new Londinium custom seals :)
  • I've had the silicone group gasket in for a few days now. According to my calipers it is close to 6mm thick as opposed to the 5.5mm stock rubber group gasket. It is a softer material so the group does still lock in at 6 o'clock, but meets more resistance to lock in and during its travel from the 8 o'clock position to the 6 o'clock position. Due to the top lip variation on baskets, my 18 gram VST basket seems to be the most difficult one to lock in, with the IMS one the easiest, although they all lock in fine.

I haven't decided if I like it. I would probably love it if it was 5.5mm or even 5.75mm thick.

While paying for shipping from Hong Kong, I did grab a few of the piston seals. They seem like a slightly smaller diameter than the stock seals with a same size C.S. measurement (the flat side). Outer wall may be slightly thicker, but its hard to tell or measure. I haven't put one in yet as I don't need to.
  • they're grabby and squishy like you would expect silicone to be, rather than the hard sliding surface that viton presents to the rolled lip of the portafilter basket

no doubt some people will prefer the silicone surface
  • Reiss Gunson post=11792 wrote: they're grabby and squishy like you would expect silicone to be, rather than the hard sliding surface that viton presents to the rolled lip of the portafilter basket

no doubt some people will prefer the silicone surface

No doubt some will like it. It is grabby and I think the thickness is so it will lock in at 6 o'clock because of it squishy nature. It also makes it more difficult to get the portafilter ears set to lock it in.

I wasn't sure of the material of the stock group gaskets, so thanks for clarifying that it is viton.
  • Which one did you put in? I have some left over from my GS3. Cafelat E61 blue(8.5mm thick) and E61 red (8mm thick). I don't see one on their site that's 6mm thick.
    Rob
  • Christmas is coming, so wanted to ask you what are your experience and recommendations regarding some of Cafelat product for modern lever machines.
    I have good experience with silicon gasket and the cleaning brush for Nuova Simonelli Musica, so wanted to check with you what do you think about:
    a) Porftafilter Silicon Gasket- does it make sense to use it? Or the standard one is the same or better quality? Is the standar rubber or silicon?
    b) Piston Seals - silicon. I thing the answer is that then high performance are better but wanted to check, as the last opinion about the silicon ones was posted some time ago.
    c) Filter Screen - this is IMS, but custom made for lever machines (they do not have the dead spot, that is be default in E61 group shower screens. I know that when comparing IMS basket 35 is better for LR then 200, but what about the modified one? Does it make sense to have the additional perforations in the center? And maybe there is a plan to have some costume screen with 35 mesh and no dead spot with Londinium logo? Reiss what are you feeling about this?
  • hi pawel

for your last question the answer is yes, they'll be here in january

kind regards

reiss.
  • Great, thank you Reiss!