This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Strange noise

Hi all, after the boiler light comes on and the red light goes off my l1 has developed a recurring strange noise . I've talked the top off and can't see a leak inside , the boiler is coming on every couple of minutes , each time with the same sizzling noise after it goes off. Any help please .

Comments

• Hi Martin

You will have a leak, you just need to find it

Try a shining a torch around in there, in the evening with the lights off should help you to see any leaking steam

You can also use a dentist's mirror, which will fog when the leaking steam condenses on it

The other you can do is roll up a sheet of A4 paper to create a listening horn

Hold it to your ear as you move it to different locations around the machine looking for source of the sound

A good place to check first is the safety valve

This is the tall brass valve in the centre of the boiler

Keep us posted so we can add info as necessary
  • Ok I'll give all that a go , considering the noise Is happening every couple of minutes I can't see any water or steam. I haven't been able to see anyhing with at torch . The boiler is cycling very quickly is this normal also .i uploaded a clip with my original post , has it appeared ?
  • hi martin

no sign of the clip - easiest to load to youtube then paste the youtube link

fast cycling of the boiler also suggests a leak in the system

element should be coming on about once every minute & a half (90s) - obviously variable depending on the environment, but not a bad rule of thumb

kind regards

reiss

• Ok that should be the clip, the boiler is coming on just over every 70seconds after actually timing it . The noise seems to have abated for now , but It did this recently only to return again today .
  • 70s suggests you have a leak, albeit slow/small

if you work your way around the machine you will find it

check also the join between the pipes terminating at steam and hot water valves

also check that the anti-vac valve is seated - touch in quick succession about 10 times with the tip of a screwdriver to ensure there isn't a piece of grit there preventing the valve from seating fully
  • Right ill dig out the manual as I don't know what the anti vac valves look like . I have checked the parts round the tap and steam arm can't see any action there
  • Nope I don't know what anti vac valve is, I make cups of coffee not the machines sorry.
  • Right found the opv valve and tapped it , I'll look to see now long it's taking to cycle now .
  • It's still cycling after 70 seconds , the noise itself itsnt a problem , I am concerned I m knackering the machine though. I am still really struggling to see any leak , although as you say it must be there .
  • hi martin

I'm just prepping supper

later this evening i will put together some images & clips

anti vac valve the stubby little button valve to the left of the safety valve

just tap the nipple with the end of a screwdriver or similar to depress it without giving yourself a steam burn

pliers on the nipple of the safety valve and instead of depressing, you want to rotate quickly, left or right 90 degrees - probably twice

reiss
  • Ok thanks ,speak later I have done this and found the valve boiler still cycling 70 seconds
  • OK, can we have a 'show of hands' from the rest of you on element cycle time (seconds between element off and element back on again when machine is not in use) and ambient temperature
  • 84 secs I'm getting at around 18C, after it has been on for at least 20 mins,
  • Reiss Gunson post=323 wrote: OK, can we have a 'show of hands' from the rest of you on element cycle time (seconds between element off and element back on again when machine is not in use) and ambient temperature

8 sec to heat up to 1.2bar

84 sec to cool to 0.9bar
  • Hi guys mine is cycling at a minute , I don't know what the ambient temperature is . I'm am just unsure whether some of the noises I'm hearing are normal or not - would anyone be able to film a Clip from element to element only so can compare the noises after ?
    If the noises are normal and cycling time is ok , the it's not a problem for me. Just want to be sure , there is nothing wrong with the machine .
    Cheers
  • Hmmm... it looks like we all have something different going on?

I timed 5 cycles, room temperature at 21°, the machine is on 24 hours a day 7 days a week and the last coffee was made 6 hours ago.

This is what they looked like:

1 min 52 sec
    17 sec
    1 min 53 sec
    17 sec
    1 min 59 sec
    16 sec
    1 min 54 sec
    16 sec
    1 min 59 sec
    16 sec

The pressure cycles between 1.2 and 1.5 bar.

Just a few more factors to consider:
    2400w element
    Water tank almost empty
  • I had a noise too when I got the machine. The noise would disappear when the element cycled off and would increase steadily when the element kicked in. The issue was with my safety value (the larger one next to the anti-vac). Hearing such a noise is not normal. It should be silent.

I suspect this is the same issue as yours. If you shine a torch into the internals you should see a little whiff of steam coming up from it. Can you do this?

If it is, then you will need to take a needle nose pliers and carefully but firmly twist the nipple pin around - either direction. You should hear a groaning sound as the spring adjusts in the valve. And then push the needle in a few times in succession. It s helpful to do this whilst the machine is on. Be careful but be confident.

My value still hisses sometimes but not enough to be an issue. Also ambient temperature does impact the cycle times.
  • Thanks Ian
    Your stat is set to a higher rate. My machine (and recent machines) are set between 1.0 and 1.2.

Interestingly this morning - with the machine set on a timer for over an hour - cycling was about 65 secs with the room temperature at around 18C, but the deadband was tighter a few seconds (ie when the element stays on) . When the room temp got up to 21C it was cycling around 85 secs

Martin are you leaving your machine on all day? If you are using it a couple of times a day I wouldnt get too stressed about it. You have commercial grade components in there. They are not going anywhere in a hurry. Lets see if we can help you at least eliminate the noise however.
  • Mine was cycling every 110 seconds a few weeks ago - it has got a little cooler in the UK since then.
  • When at work it comes on with a wemo for the morning and then 3-4 hours from 5-10 pm. When off its on all day.
    I'll try and post another clip tonight , it just sounds like it's dripping somewhere , but can't see any steam anywhere or water.or condensation. I'm happy to live with noise as long as it's not indicative of something Else.
    Cheers guys for all the help tho
  • thank you to everyone for their data

i only have the very first machine with me at the moment and having timed the cycle to 70s now that the weather has cooled - but i would be surprised if it is a completely pressure tight system knowing what sort of life it has had

as you can see it is highly dependant on ambient as the group is a highly effective radiator with the thermosiphon circulating out to it and back to keep it warm, and drop in ambient sucks heat out of the system measurably faster

other factors that may influence, at least on tank fed machines, is how full you keep the reservoir tank of water as this does become quite warm so in acting as a heat sink should have the effect of slowing the rate at which heat is lost from the boiler

Martin: if you are talking about the noise in your clip that first appears at the 8 second mark in the clip i am fairly confident that this is the safety valve just beginning to open. First question would be what is the max pressure reading on your pressure stat and assuming that is 1.2-1.3 then i would say you need to do the pliers trick with the safety valve again to get it to fully seat
  • My machine switches on the heating element, it's ready in 10 seconds and 82 seconds later it switches on again for 10 seconds.

I made a short clip of two such cysles with the view from the outside of the machine (pressure gauge) and the inside of the machine and will post the link soon.

Room temp is 18º Celsius, machine has been on for a few hours. Took the top off to film it better and that may have been of some influence on the situation I was measuring of course.

I enjoy studying this but I think it's of little importance to the results in the cup. If steam would escape inside the machine, that would be something, or if it would switch on and off every few seconds, that would surprise me.
  • I think everyone is correct in saying the cycle time isn't incredibly important. My numbers are all across the board:

46s-75s; recovery time 5-7s; temp 22-23deg

The thermosiphon is an absolute marvel, and it is very, very sensitive.
  • Ok thanks all, il have a play with the " nipple " tonight and rest a bit easier knowing that it doesn't sound like there is a lot wrong with the machine.
    Frans I'd still be interested in seeing the clips for peace of mind
    Cheers martin
  • Martin Jeffery post=348 wrote: Frans I'd still be interested in seeing the clips for peace of mind

Upload is at 95%, so any minute now
  • One note of interest: I typically leave the portafilter out of the grouphead throughout the day, but this morning I inserted the double-spout to see what the difference would be with the cycle. Now, after an hour or so, it has stabilized at 90s/10s and is extremely consistent. (FWIW, I have the pstat set to 1.2bar)

• (2850 W element)
  • note: recovery times (i.e. element 'on') can not be compared across machines without referencing the element you have, as this is dependent on the power of the element in your machine
  • Brilliant that helps a lot , that is pretty much what mine is doing now I have played with the opv valve , thanks a lot
  • Salvatore Taibi post=350 wrote: One note of interest: I typically leave the portafilter out of the grouphead throughout the day, but this morning I inserted the double-spout to see what the difference would be with the cycle. Now, after an hour or so, it has stabilized at 90s/10s and is extremely consistent. (FWIW, I have the pstat set to 1.2bar)
    Hi Salvatore,
    As I understand things, it is a good idea to leave the portafilter loosely locked into the group when the machine is on, this keeps the rubber warm and more malleable for when the two parts are being used in anger (or maybe when making coffee too :) ), then if/when one switches the machine off for a longer period, overnight or when out at work... remove that portafilter, so that the rubber is allowed to keep as near to its original shape as possible.

FWIW at this point I tested my cycle times...

2.8k element

On 8.8 seconds

Off 2 min 31 seconds

Ambient temp 20C

Pressure 0.9 - 1.2 bar

My quiescent period seems to be a lot longer than most... I am just wondering whether it might be because I have a "Cafelat microfibre" cloth spread over the top of the machine, with a few cups keeping warm there?

If so, could this be a good argument for insulating the boiler as reported by Reiss sometime back on his blog?

http://londiniumespresso.com/blog/interested-in-insulating-the-boiler-on-your-londinium-i#.UlgonxZsi-I