This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Baskets

Does anyone know who actually makes the various baskets offered by the many suppliers?

Like LaMarzocco, Bosco, Rancilio, Arduino, CMA? Espresso Parts sells many baskets but who actually makes baskets??

Comments

• to the best of my knowledge there are only 3 facilities in the world with the needle press(es) that are needed to make portafilter baskets

one is in spain, one in italy, and more recently a third facility has opened in china
  • Thanks Reiss!

I suspect that finding out who makes/provides to the various brands of espresso machines would be almost impossible.

I do know there is a difference between basket manufacturers as far as having to adjust the grind to accommodate the different baskets. My LM baskets were different than the VST as it the VST different than the L-I. It is just something we must deal with B)
  • on the 'nice to to do' list is find a ridge less basket that we like as i would dearly like to ship the machine with ridge less baskets

as things settle down these nice to do tasks will get addressed

the tapered baskets that we ship with the L1 are always going to be easier to use than the straight sided baskets as they are creating a pressure increase, in much the same way that a single baskets does with an even more aggressive taper and accompanying reduced surface area on the punched surface
  • I'd love to have an original LI shape basket (~16g) without the ridge! Probably my inadequate barista skills but I could never get the VST baskets to be anything less than a PITA without any flavor advantage. Whereas the stocker basket is very forgiving and predictable for me to use...
  • I have a series of ridgeless VST baskets and wish I had gotten ridged ones.

What I like about the L-I basket is that I can turn them upside down and give a shake and not have to hit it on a knock box bar to get the puck out. They just fall out easily for the 16g basket and it takes 2 shakes for the 7g basket. With the VST ridgeless I need to use a knock bar or the heel of my hand to get the puck out. It is the difference from tapered bottom baskets to straight walled baskets I believe.

That is why I primarily use the OEM baskets.
  • I have used the 15g VST Ridgeless with success for 14-14.5 doses.

Since I loosened the PF springs to get the ridged baskets out the ridgeless baskets come out to easily and probably would need a PF with tighter spring. I turn the PF upside down and give a shake to get the puck out and not a knock bar.
  • Reiss Gunson post=194 wrote: on the 'nice to to do' list is find a ridge less basket that we like as i would dearly like to ship the machine with ridge less baskets

as things settle down these nice to do tasks will get addressed

the tapered baskets that we ship with the L1 are always going to be easier to use than the straight sided baskets as they are creating a pressure increase, in much the same way that a single baskets does with an even more aggressive taper and accompanying reduced surface area on the punched surface

Reiss:

Does anyone make a ridgeless walled, tapered bottom basket?? I have never seen one.

Stephen
  • yes. there are catalogues full of designs, different hole size, different hole shape, different hole distribution, etc

the trick is getting one that is the same as the one we have, i.e. just ridge less instead of ridged
  • I have noticed that the VST baskets I have, the 15,18 & 22g are all tighter hole sizes, or at least they seems to be by the rate of pour.

S.