This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Recipe for Yirgacheffe?

I have some fresh, light-roasted Yirgacheffe from a respected local roaster that I have no idea how to pull. I tried 16g in the IMS 24H basket and also in the OEM basket. In the former case, I got 18g in 30" and in the latter 14g in 31", at the same grind. The former had a preinfusion of 2 seconds, the latter of 6 seconds. These very ristretto shots had little crema and although the former hinted a lovely flavours, I'm sure it wasn't as good as it could be. I'd be grateful for any suggestions. I have little experience of pulling lightly roasted beans and have never tasted Yirgacheffe before.

Thanks, Matt

Comments

• I too am curious about this.

I have been using 15.8g in the IMS B70 2T 26.5H or the OEM basket for the Yirga.
  • Why not start with my rule of thumb flow rate of 1g of espresso per second?

If you want ristretto simply pull the cup earlier in the shot, rather than reducing the flow rate

As described I would say the first shot is over extracted and the second shot is very over extracted

Neither will taste pleasant as the flow rate is too slow

Kind regards

Reiss
  • Thanks for the suggestion, Reiss. I'll try that tomorrow. I had got the idea somewhere that I had to grind very fine for this coffee, and when I had problems I went even finer!!
    Reiss Gunson post=7147 wrote: Why not start with my rule of thumb flow rate of 1g of espresso per second?

If you want ristretto simply pull the cup earlier in the shot, rather than reducing the flow rate

As described I would say the first shot is over extracted and the second shot is very over extracted

Neither will taste pleasant as the flow rate is too slowT

Kind regards

Reiss
  • Slow rate generally requires a courser grind. If your pre-fusion is 6-8 sec and it starts to run during the pre-infusion, try a slightly heavier tamp but check the rate of flow once you release the lever.

I found that the flow of 1gm/sec is the initial goal with then adjusting the tamp pressure to assist with the pre-fusion so that the first drops appear 8-10 sec if you hold the lever longer.

In the videos I made with Frans, my tamping was a lot lighter than I have been using lately. I have found that tamping is less sensitive than adjusting the grind so get the flow right first and then experiment with tamping. Its the rate of the main flow that's more important..
    Cheers

Trevor
  • Remember, the espresso machine doesn't know the origin of the coffee as such

All you are dealing with is the structural differences between beans that have had a light, medium, and dark roast

Personally I deal with this by raising the dose to say 18g and lifting the pre-infusion to 10s as the lighter roasts really don't like to let the water in (cf a darker roast)

Let us know if this helps
  • Reiss Gunson post=7157 wrote: Remember, the espresso machine doesn't know the origin of the coffee as such

All you are dealing with is the structural differences between beans that have had a light, medium, and dark roast

Personally I deal with this by raising the dose to say 18g and lifting the pre-infusion to 10s as the lighter roasts really don't like to let the water in (cf a darker roast)

Let us know if this helps

That worked beautifully. The taste was very sweet and flavourful (although I can't tell you if it tasted of 'blueberry', as advertised). Thanks for the steer.