This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Weight Scales

Curious what everyone is using for a .1g scale. In the market for something accurate, will weight up to 400g and ideally real time without breaking the bank. I'm not asking for much :D

Comments

• Hi dan

Go to eBay

If you want high resolution and high capacity you will need to open your wallet - eg I have some 30Kg scales that weigh in 1g increments - you pay for that

So in your case if you want 0.01g resolution if you drop down from 400g to say 200g you will find they are less expensive

Alternatively, drop to 0.1g resolution and take a higher tare weight

That said, on the whole they're as cheap as chips and I suspect originate from a very small number of factories

They're built to a price so don't expect them to last - eg battery terminals often break on the solder

In my experience the important thing is to get them with a flush surface so coffee grinds can't drop in under the buttons as this will prove fatal for your scales

If you've got some coin then consider the Rolls Royce solution which are the Acaia scales complete with smart phone app and electric nose picker. I jest, but you get the idea
  • Thanks Reiss. Yes, I've had several not quite el cheapo scales (MyWeighs) and they get the job done (I guess ;)). Just wondering what other's are using as mine will deviate several 10ths of a gram (+/- 3-4 tenths of a gram)...and lags a few seconds behind real time.

The reason for my question: Occasionally/randomly when pulling back-to-back shots with the same bean and the result is very different flow rates (typical of what .5-1g grams of bean weight and/or a grinder setting would be responsible for). And other than an HG-One malfunction (basically can rule that one out) the next obvious suspect in line is the scale.
  • With back to back shots the first thing that comes to mind is heat in the Group.

BTW, I use the OnBalance scale that you sold Reiss and so far it works but I have not tried 400g on it.

I saw a new LaMarzocco machine with scales built into the drip tray! It weighed the shots and shut off the pump and cut the shot when a pre-selected weight was reached. All very high tech and it looked like a PITA to keep the tray/platen cover clean.