This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Portafilter Sneeze and Dry Pucks

I have a question about PF "sneezes". I have a wet puck unless I wait at least 2-2.5 min after the shot is done. I don't remember this happening a year ago when I got the machine, but maybe it did. Reiss says that the puck should be dry after 30 sec, which I don't find to be the case. I can pull down on the lever to release pressure if I unlock the PF before 2.5 min to prevent the splatter, but I was wondering if this is usual for everyone or not?

I use the standard L1 double basket, dose 15.8 grams, grind with an HG One, and pull a shot in 25-28 sec. It happens with many different coffees, with small differences between coffees. Reiss suggested grinding coarser, but then the shot pulls too fast. I can't fit more than 15.8 gms in the basket or I can't close it.

Comments? This is something that I have been and can live with, but I'd rather have a dry puck. Thanks.

Comments

• A more coarse grind and a harder tamp? Fresh beans make a big difference.

Also the HG-1, as it breaks-in the grind characteristics might change a bit. I know mine has changed since it was new and I have been lazy in waiting for a dry puck, or not tinkering enough with the grind and tamp procedure.

I changed to a finer grind with a very light tamp and the result is a wet puck unless I wait. So I am sure you will find the magic spot where your time and patience coincide :-)

BTW that is about the dose I grind every morning, at least for one member of the family.
  • hi michael

more thoughts I've had -

1. is your PF to group seal correctly fitted? by this i mean is it pushed into the seal groove such that it is flush at the bottom with the bottom of the group, and around its entire circumference
    2. would you be able to post an image of your 15.8g after it has been tamped into the stock double basket?
    3. how hard are you cranking that PF handle around to the right?

kind regards

reiss

with 15.8g doses in the stock basket it absolutely should be as dry as a bone 30 seconds after the extraction, i.e. t=60 seconds

I'm happy to accept that as you wind the dose up it takes longer for the puck to dry, but not for your 'classic' style of use, so something is amiss, especially as you are running on time extractions

i presume that when you say 'pull a shot in 25-28 seconds' that you are excluding the pre-infusion time (you should be) and that time is until blonding arrives and it is yielding a brew weight of 27g, +/-2g
  • Thanks Reiss,
    I believe my gasket is OK. If it's clean (it usually is), I don't have any leaks around the edge. I'll try to post a pic, but the top of the puck after I've tamped is 1-2 mm below the ridge in the basket. I am cranking snugly, but not super tight. Handle ends up at about 5 o'clock I would say (looking down on the group).

I start timing after pre infusion. I usually pull the shot at about 28 seconds, but it's usually done by then, but dribbles on for another 5-8 seconds. I've never done brew weights -- that would be the weight of the coffee in the shot glass?

Michael
  • on paper you look pretty good michael
    not measuring the brew weight is definitely a missing piece of the puzzle - second prize would be pulling the shot into a very accurate volumetric beaker - i.e. lab glass
    if you have the capability to weigh your dose, then presumably you have the capability to measure the brew weight too?
    let me know - i really think this is an essential step if you are having any kind of issue
    reiss.
  • Darker roasted coffee usually produce more fines so if you are using a relatively dark roasted coffee (lets say medium dark) it may cause that.

I like to roast a medium dark espesso blends and it usually causes the same thing so I am waiting an extra 30-45 seconds to release the PF and even that not always enough.

The second thing that I can think of is your grinder producing to many fines, maybe an alignment issue of some sort?

Kfir.
  • To answer a few questions. I've weighed my shots and they're 35 grams (15.8 gms of coffee). The shot is 45-50 ml including the crema. I use medium roasted coffees. When i've used my SJ Mazzer instead of the HG One, they're not as wet, but I still have to wait 1.5-2 min for a dry puck. Also, it seems if I dose a little lighter, e.g. 15.5 gms, the wait is a little shorter. Not sure how many fines the HG One produces, but the pours are usually quite even, centered, and reproducible. Sounds like at least Kfir and some others need to wait longer than 30 seconds for their dry puck, so I won't worry about it.