This forum is now read-only

To login to the new support channel and community forums, go to the Support Portal

Boiler pinhole failure

My boiler has a pinhole failure on the left hand side (view from the front). I've had it on a fastidious diet of Volvic, but I guess things happen after a few years. Coincidentally I've had a major leak without any other obvious cause. I need a few pointers here. I think I'm taking it to a local shop as TIG welding is beyond my scope. I've included some pictures and videos.

Thanks
René

Comments

• hi rene

ah, that is a pain. are you comfortable pulling the boiler out of the machine so you can return it to the factory? that would be the ideal solution

if you can do that i'll cover the carriage both ways and the repair as that just shouldn't happen

whilst i think of it, you havent got the trombone pipe with the non return valve still on the machine have you?
    (an image that shows that end of the boiler and pipes in its entirety will allow me to see the answer to that question)

let me know

kind regards

reiss.
  • Thank you for your quick and kind reply. Boiler's out and ready to be shipped.

Attached files

image image image image
  • hi rene

can you please drop me an email and then i can copy in the relevant person so they know to look out for it and what action to take

also, can you please post an image like this one? (i am wondering if your trombone pipe has a non return valve on it - if it does we should send you a replacement trombone pipe when we send the boiler back to you)

kind regards

reiss.

Attached files

• hi rene

have you posted your boiler back to fracino?

just posting to try out the new forum

kind regards

reiss.

• hi rene

its descaled, repaired, and i'll get it on DHL to you today (weds)

kind regards

reiss.

• Just a quick update for everyone to see: machine is running again!

the pinhole was welded over. In reassembling it took a bit of trial and error to see how much torque is needed for the fittings (answer: tighten with wrench, then tap wrench with hammer using a moderate amount of force). the support I received from Reiss was phenomenal. Response time and shipping was fast. As a bonus my boiler was descaled. Thanks!

I have one more question though: The pressure gauge has a bias of about +0.4bar. I noticed that when I disconnected the small pipe from the boiler the gauge assumed a resting position of about 0.6 bar. Now in normal operation it peaks about 1.6 bar which is incorrect. Is there a way to fix this?

Thank you

René

• hi rene

replace the pressure gauge

(it is the result of the anti-vac valve sticking in the closed position at some point, which results in a vacuum forming, which will then pull the needle so hard against the stop that it will rotate the needle on the shaft such that the gauge will then indicate a pressure greater than zero when the true pressure in the system is zero)

kind regards

reiss